Submissions     Contact     Advertise     Donate     BlogRoll     Subscribe                         

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dehydrated Apricots

apricots

I am not a fan of the apricot…I thought. For some reason I’ve never liked the texture. So when a friend brought over a grocery sack of beautiful apricots I was grateful, but less than enthusiastic. I didn’t want them to go to waste though, so I decided to try out the new dehydrator my parents had given me last Christmas (I love practical gifts!) My plan was to dry the apricots and dice them up for recipes. I figured I would at least use them in muffins.

We halved the apricots and removed the pits. Then, per internet counsel, turned the halves inside out (I have no idea why this is advised). Now, there is some controversy about this method because some say this makes the fruit lose its juice. We didn’t find this to be the case. You can also dip your fruit in a preservative solution like Fruit Fresh or Vitamin C and water, but we left ours naked (because we’re crazy like that :) ). We placed the halves on the drying rack and just let the dryer do its thing for about 20 hours. You’ll want to follow the instructions for your dehydrator and check it periodically after the first 10 hours to shift trays and check dryness. Once the fruit has completed drying and has cooled, you can vacuum seal it in jars, freeze it, or keep it in the refrigerator to extend the shelf-life.

It turns out I LOVE apricots…dried. I honestly cannot stay out of them. I’m secretly hoping my friend continues to have a very bountiful crop, and brings over another beautiful bag of apricots that I will giddily accept.


Original: http://allaboutfoodstorage.com/2009/07/dehydrated-apricots/

No comments:

Post a Comment