Quick Dill Pickles
- 4 pounds of cucumbers
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons dill seed or 9 heads of fresh or dried dill weed
- 18 whole black peppercorns or 3 small dried red peppers
- For whole cucumbers, small size up to 4 inches long is preferred. Larger sizes may be packed whole provided they are processed for a longer time.
- Wash cucumbers thoroughly.
- Usually with larger cucumbers it is better to slice, quarter, or halve lengthwise before pickling.
- combine vinegar and water
- Pack cucumbers into clean jars. For each quart jar, add 1 tablespoon or 3 heads of dill, 6 whole black peppers and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Fill with vinegar/water solution leaving ½ inch headspace. Seal
- Follow directions for water bath canning; process 15 minutes in simmering hot water.