How long can I keep Crisco products on my shelf?
The shelf life of a shortening or oil product depends a great deal on how it has been stored and handled. For the best results, Crisco products should be stored in a cool, dry place away from strong odors, direct sunlight, and sources of heat (stoves, dishwashers, and refrigerators)
|Crisco Products Shelf Life & Manufacture Code Locations|
|Shortening Can||Shortening Sticks||Crisco Oil||Crisco Spray|
|Unopened||2 years from manufacture date||2 years from manufacture date||2 years from manufacture date||2 years|
|Opened||about 1 year||about 6 months||about 1 year||2 years|
|Code Location||bottom of can||side of plastic tub||side of bottle back label||bottom of can|
What exactly is a manufacturing code, and how do I read it?
- The manufacturing code is the date the product was made. It might look something like this: 4 122 420 0321.
- The first number represents the year it was made. For instance, the 4 in our example code means it was made in 2004. A number 3 would mean it was made in 2003, 2 in 2002, and so on.
- The next three numbers represent the day of the year the product was made. In our example, the 122 (or one hundred and twenty second day) is May 2 (May 1 during Leap Year).
- The third set of numbers or letters are plant codes, which have nothing to do with the date.
- Finally, the last four digits represent the time displayed in military time.
A “Best If Used By” date code may appear on your product. This future date from the original date of manufacture represents the day that the product is guaranteed fresh. It might look something like this: APR 04 2007. The date code represents the month, date, and year.
Do I need to refrigerate Crisco shortening?
We suggest storing Crisco shortening on the pantry shelf. If you live in a warm climate and prefer to refrigerate shortening and oil, keep in mind that refrigeration causes shortening to be more firm and oils to be thicker and look somewhat cloudy. Allowing the products to return to room temperature will bring their appearance back to normal and give you the best performance.