Submissions     Contact     Advertise     Donate     BlogRoll     Subscribe                         

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Food Storage Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe

Original Article

FEBRUARY IS “LET THEM EAT (FOOD STORAGE) CAKE!” MONTH!

Did you know it’s my birthday this weekend? {Insert a plea for comments wishing me a very happy food storage birthday HERE}  So I’ve decided to showcase a few of my favorite birthday cakes featuring food storage (minus the Food Storage Chocolate Molten cake which I already shared). 

Starting with Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  It really is too bad that some of the best food from the 50′s and 60′s has gone by the wayside.  I’m thinking Ruebens, Lime Rickeys, and especially PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE!  This cake used to be the ‘IN’ cake, sort of like how everywhere you go now there are cake pops (hmmm…cake pops food storage style….interesting…anyway….).  I have always loved this cake, who wouldn’t?  It has a very moist cake, yummy sticky topping, pineapple and maraschino cherries!  And when you’re from the family I’m from-ANYTHING with maraschino cherries is a VERY GOOD THING!  I made these tonight for a Blue and Gold Banquet I went to and decided to turn them into cupcakes.  And just when I thought Pineapple Upside Down Cake couldn’t get better, the heavens open and a way appears!  I loved them!  I was even able to sneak in some food storage wheat and beans.  I always love people’s reactions when I tell them the secret ingredient is beans.  If you haven’t quite figured out how to use beans for oil and/or butter get my tips for using food storage beans in your baked goods!  I adapted my recipe for the Pineapple Upside Cake recipe from the Essential Mormon Cookbook series (one of my favorite cookbooks!).

Food Storage Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Print
Recipe type: Dessert
I love this recipe because it doesn’t call for a cake mix! It’s from scratch and perfect for using food storage!
Ingredients
  • 1 C. packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 C. butter, softened and divided (or 1/2 C. butter and 1 C. white bean puree)
  • 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple rings, drained with juice reserved (if you’re doing cupcakes use crushed pineapple)
  • Maraschino cherries, if desired
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 1 T. vanilla (yes, that is TABLESPOON)
  • 2 eggs (1/4 C. dry egg powder + 1/2 C. water)
  • 2 1/4 C. flour (I used 1 C. whole wheat flour and 1 1/4 C. all-purpose flour)
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
Instructions
  1. Combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter; spread on bottom of greased 9×13 inch pan. Place pineapple rings and cherries on top. Cream the remaining 1 cup butter (or bean puree) with sugar. Add vanilla and eggs and beat well. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Beat in 1 cup of the reserved pineapple juice. Pour batter over pineapple rings and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly, serve warm. To serve, flip individual cake pieces over to show pineapple. Top with whipped cream if desired. Serves 12.
Notes
If you want to make cupcakes. SImply spread the brown sugar butter mixture on the bottom of 24 greased cupcake pans (you won’t be able to use liners for these). Divide crushed pineapple and cherries and place on top of mixture. Pour batter on top to 2/3 full. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then turn over. (I turned mine over onto a baking sheet and then served) Serves 24
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe
2.2.1

CRYSTAL’S TIP:

I love the cupcakes because you get TWENTY FOUR servings instead of just TWELVE.  Much better portion control!

Help Spread the Word!

I love it when you share my tips and recipes for food storage! Do me a quick favor (and remember it’s my birthday!), if you like what you see please share it on facebook, pinterest, or blog about it! And make sure you link either the word “food storage” or “Everyday Food Storage” back to me. Thanks-it makes all the hard work worth it!
© 2012, Crystal. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. OMGoodness!! This looks so delicious..I love pineapple upside down cake and do make it several times a year still. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think the best thing here is that the taste lingers on till one has finished licking their fingers, also sticky finger can pick up the crumbs.

    ReplyDelete