It looks like there is a good chance that the Northeast US is going to get hit by Hurricane Irene this weekend. Depending on your location there are several things you can do to prepare, even at the last minute:
1. Ensure you have plenty of food and water.
2. Fill the gas tanks in your vehicles. If you have gas cans fill them, too.
3. If you have a generator, do a test run and make sure you have plenty of fuel.
4. Make sure you have an ample supply of batteries for flashlights, lanterns, radios, etc.
5. If you might need to use an alternative cooking device, have plenty of fuel on hand. E.g., propane, Coleman fuel, or charcoal.
6. Have fuel and oil for chainsaws. Make sure it's working ahead of time.
7. Get some large tarps for quickly covering any roof or window damage due to wind or falling trees. You'll also need some means of securing the tarps - heavy duty cord, drywall screws, or nails.
8. Clean your gutters and make sure any drainage ditches or storm drains are clear.
9. Have a few hundred dollars in cash on hand.
10. Charge any rechargeable electric or electronic devices. E.g., drills, saws, cell phones, iPods, etc.
This is hardly an exhaustive list, but should get you started.