Bleach is one of the most widely available and affordable disinfectants on earth. Clorox® brand liquid bleach was introduced in 1913 and has played a critical role in helping to protect public health by killing germs that cause illness.
For years, bleach has helped purify water – particularly during times of disaster. Disinfectants also help kill germs that can make people sick, including MRSA, Staph, and Norovirus. Disinfecting frequently touched surfaces is essential. Germs and viruses can thrive in the kitchen, bathroom, baby’s room and laundry room.
The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – recommend the use of bleach for controlling the spread of pathogens that can cause infections and other health threats.
Clorox Bleach to water ratio…
…for cleaning hard, nonporous food contact surfaces and sanitizing refrigerators, freezers, plastic cutting boards, stainless cutlery, dishes, glassware, counter-tops, pots and pans, and stainless utensils,
Use 1 tablespoon of Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water.
Wash, wipe or rinse items with detergent and water, then apply sanitizing solution of bleach and water. Let stand 2 minutes. Air dry.
You may also wish to keep a mixture of bleach and water in a spray bottle, for easy maintenance around your kitchen and household. After you clean the surfaces, just spray on the solution and let air dry. Use the disinfectant ratio mentioned above, or 1/4 teaspoon bleach per cup of water. Be sure to label the spray bottle!
What is the difference between cleaning and disinfecting?
Cleaning removes dust and debris from a surface. Disinfecting kills a variety of germs including bacteria such as Staph, Salmonella and E. coli, the viruses such as influenza (the “flu” virus) and rhinovirus (one of the causes of the common cold) and the fungus that causes athlete’s foot. Disinfecting hard, nonporous surfaces is one of the most reliable ways to help lower the risk of spreading these germs from surfaces by touch.
Are disinfectants harmful to the environment?
No. During normal household use and disposal, bleach breaks down primarily into salt and water. Bleach does not contaminate ground water because it does not survive sewage treatment – neither in municipal sewage treatment plants nor in septic systems.
What’s in Clorox® Regular Bleach?
Why is bleach disinfectant so extremely important during a survival situation?
Without rapid access (or any access) to healthcare, an infection, if bad enough, can quickly kill you. During a disaster or survival scenario, you are even more vulnerable to cuts and injuries, any of which could become easily infected. Prior to the days of antibiotics, and disinfection techniques, many people commonly died from infection. Be sure to have an adequate supply of bleach in your arsenal of preparedness items.
Following is a list of organisms that the proper Clorox Bleach to water ratios can kill
Staphylococcus aureus (Staph.)
Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep.)
Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli)
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Trichophyton mentagrophytes (can cause Athlete’s Foot)
Candida albicans (a yeast)
Rhinovirus Type 37 (a type of virus that can cause colds)
Influenza A (Flu virus)
Hepatitis A virus
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
HIV-1 (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)*
Herpes simplex Type 2
Adenovirus Type 2
If you enjoyed this, or topics of survival preparedness or current events risk awareness,
check out our current homepage articles…
Modern Survival Blog related posts
- Drinking Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency
- Survival Water Storage
- Make Drinking Water Safe with Bleach
- Pandemic Flu Survival
- NDM-1 Bacteria SuperBug – resistant to all known antibiotics
Incoming search terms:
- what temperature ruins the effectiveness of bleach to purify water
- bleach as disinfectant
- bleach solution
- bleach to water ratio
- ratio of bleach to water to for treatment
- how to disinfectant use bleach
- how to make bleach solution for cleaning
- how to make bleach water
- mrsa disinfectant
- ratio bleach to water