Whether you’re dealing with a societal collapse or are living/traveling in a remote location far away from any hospital, understanding how to treat medical issues where there is no doctor around is of prime importance.
Perhaps the two most well-known books available for this type of information are the Where There is No Doctor and Where There is No Dentist books put out by the Hesperian Foundation. These books — especially Where There is No Doctor — have become the “bible” of primary health care for community health workers and villagers in poor countries around the world (and popular among the survivalist community might I add).
Typically these books go for around $12 each on Amazon but now you can download them free directly from the Hesperian Foundation:
What You’ll LearnBoth books use simple language and hundreds of drawings (not world-class illustrations by any means but they do their job) to teach the layman about recognizing, treating and preventing common illnesses and injuries – it goes way beyond simple first-aid information.
Here’s a sample of some of the information you’ll learn:
Where There is No Doctor
- How to properly administer medicine and dosage instructions
- The proper methods of injecting medicine
- How to deliver a baby
- How to heal without medicines
- Guidelines for the use of antibiotics
- Home cures
- Medicinal plants
- Homemade casts
- and more…
Where There is No Dentist
- How to properly examine and diagnose dental issues
- How to treat cavities, abscesses, infected sinuses, and more
- How to prepare and insert homemade fillings
- How to inject inside the mouth
- How to safely and correctly remove a tooth
- and more…