FlipBoard

Welcome to our new Magazine format! All new content will now be brought to you in this easy, new format. All our older content can still be found by scrolling below. Simply click the ">" to start the magazine and navigate via your arrow keys.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Old Fels-Naptha soap packaging, photographed a...
I finally made my own laundry detergent. I used the recipe from Hillbilly Housewife. Here is the basic recipe:

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, shaved
4 cups of hot water to melt the soap
3 gallons of hot water
1 cup of borax
2 cups of washing soda
1 cup of baking soda
1 large Rubbermaid container about 4-5 gallons size

The full instructions are here: Homemade Laundry Detergent | Hillbilly Housewife

So far so good. The detergent leaves a nice smell to the clothes (including my Sons socks:eek:). And my towels are much softer, even with line drying (I do not use fabric softener on towels, just vinegar in the rinse).

I have enough of the Borax and washing soda to make at least 2 more batches so it seems that this will be very cost effective. Plus the borax and washing soda can be used to clean other things in the house.:D