FlipBoard

Welcome to our new Magazine format! All new content will now be brought to you in this easy, new format. All our older content can still be found by scrolling below. Simply click the ">" to start the magazine and navigate via your arrow keys.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Homemade Applesauce

I LOVE  *L-O-V-E* Honey Crisp apples. I wake early Saturday mornings to get to the farmers market before they even open to get my 1/2 bushel of honey crisps. Last week I threw a couple peaches in the box of apples and then left for the weekend. The peaches got really ripe and even started molding which caused a chain reaction in the apples making them start to rot. Just when I thought I had gotten all the bad apples out, I would find more.

I didn't want all the apples to go to waste, so I decided to make them into applesauce. Since I don't have any of the right equipment to make it, I had to do it the hard way. It wasn't too bad, (my hand is cramping as I type) I did all the peeling, coring, and cutting with a knife.

1. I first washed the apples by cleaning out my sink, filling it with water, and placing the apples in it.

2. I cut each apple in quarters, cored them, and peeled the skin. 

3. I boiled some water, threw the apples in and cooked them till they were nice and squishy.

 4. I used the cheese grater attachment on my food processor to chop up the apples.


5. I then placed the chopper attachment on the processor and dumped in some cinnamon and mixed it up. 

6. I didn't make enough to justify canning it, so I placed it in tupperware containers and froze it.

Baby loves it!