Submissions     Contact     Advertise     Donate     BlogRoll     Subscribe                         

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Review : Paracord survival bracelet


I’m always looking out for new gear to carry.  I don’t have a lot of  requirements – my EDC (every day carry) gear has to be reliable, good quality, and easy to carry. I’ve never found a really good way to carry a length of rope or paracord, except in my weekend EDC.

A good length of paracord (4 feet or more) can be very useful in an emergency situation. One convenient and unobtrusive way to carry paracord is actually to have in it bracelet form.

I recently received mine and immediately tried it out. I chose to have a bracelet in black paracord. Black is a good colour — it matches with everything. You really want to have good quality paracord. 550 paracord is the military grade version, which has several inner nylon strands. The “550″ in the name refers to its strength, which can hold up to 550lb in weight.
Overall, I’m quite happy with my paracord. Sure, it’s weird to wear a bracelet (I don’t wear jewelry) but I think of it as a watch strap without a watch on it. The braiding is done really well, and it’s easy enough to unravel even if I’m in a hurry. My only complaint is that the buckle I have is rather flimsy and difficult to open and close one-handed.
I bought my paracord bracelet from theadmiralandrew over at eBay. You can find plenty of options on eBay. Andrew also makes a variation of the paracord bracelet with a built-in liquid filled compass.

You could also buy paracord bracelets from Amazon.
Alternatively, if you have the time, you can also make your own paracord survival bracelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment