FlipBoard

Welcome to our new Magazine format! All new content will now be brought to you in this easy, new format. All our older content can still be found by scrolling below. Simply click the ">" to start the magazine and navigate via your arrow keys.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Not fit for a dog!

“Every dog has his day - but the nights are reserved for cats” Dogs may think they are part of your human pack but there are many foods that people enjoy that are poisonous to dogs.
* Alcohol
* Avocados
* Chocolate
* Coffee grounds
* Grapes and raisins
* Gum or candy with xylitol
* Human vitamin supplements
* Macadamia nuts
* Mushrooms
* Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, powder)
* Salt
* Tea
* Tobacco
* Yeast dough

I once had a dog who loved anything made of bread. One night after breading some chicken I offered the dog the remaining flour which he lapped up. BIG MISTAKE. The next day he started bloating and we took him to an emergency vet. The flour had turned to a thick dough and formed a plug in his intestine. The vet had to operate to remove the blockage.
Bottom Line
If you think your pet has eaten something poisonous, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center hotline (888-426-4435; a consultation fee may apply).