Submissions     Contact     Advertise     Donate     BlogRoll     Subscribe                         

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cooking with Basic Food Storage: Peach Crisp and Apple Crumble



In my opinion, a perfect winter dessert incorporates all the yummy ingredients of a warm cinnamon-laden crumbly topping combined with baked fruit. So I'm sharing two recipes I've recently made which meet my winter dessert criteria and use food storage. My kids loved both but I preferred the apple crumble. I thought the Peach Crisp was a little juicy but they both were pretty tasty. In order to utilize more of my food storage, I used whole wheat flour.
Apple Crumble
1/2 c flour (whole wheat or regular)
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
4 c apples (about 7 medium)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350. Cut apples into small pieces. Toss the apples with lemon juice and place in a lightly buttered baking dish. In a bowl, mix the flour, oats and brown sugar. Melt the butter in a saucepan or the microwave, and incorporate into the oats mixture. Spread the mixture over the apples. Place in an oven and bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.


Easy Peach Crisp
2 cans (15 1/4 oz. each) Sliced Peaches
1/3 c flour
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c old fashioned oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter or margarine, melted.
Place fruit in 1 quart shallow baking dish. Combine flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon. Mix in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 375 degrees, 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ice cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment