Quinoa & Red Bean Burritos
1 cup Quinoa
2 tsp McCormick Smoky Sweet Pepper Blend
1 can (15 oz) Red Kidney Beans, drained, rinsed and lightly mashed (I used Black Beans because that's what I prefer and have on hand.)
1 1/2 cups jarred Salsa (I actually pureed just one cup to make it go further - plus I didn't want it chunky)
8 Whole Wheat Tortillas (I just used regular flour tortillas)
1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Place quinoa and pepper blend in a saucepan and cook following package directions. (All you do is boil 1 1/4 cups of water and add the quinoa, lower the heat for about ten minutes and then cool for a few before fluffing with a fork.)
- Once cooked, stir in beans and 1 cup of the salsa.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while the quinoa is cooking and coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat tortillas in microwave for 45 seconds to soften. Place 1/2 cup of the quinoa mixture in the center of each tortilla and fold like a package. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. (I didn't have the large tortillas, so I just rolled them and placed them seam down.)
- Lightly coat tortillas with nonstick cooking spray and top with remaining salsa and cheese, dividing equally.
- Bake burritos at 350 degrees for 12 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
The result? They were fantastic! Ric thought that adding some shredded chicken would be even better - maybe next time! The best part is that it's a flavorful meal right from your food storage! (Yes, I'll be storing quinoa from now on!) Here's some more info about this grain, it's really good and good for you too!