Here are some tips to help you keep safe during the holidays. I also want to take the time to wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Happy Yule .
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to contribute to the groups training and base knowledge.
Here are your tips:
- Water, Water, Water your live tree. This time of year Christmas tree fires occur regularly, but they are usually avoidable. Start by trimming the base of the tree a bit and provide plenty of water. Most trees do not get enough, check it several times a day and keep the base filled with water.
- Check your lights, especially before placing them onto your live tree. Broken, missing lights and cracked or frayed wires pose an additional fire risk, and a shock hazard. When it doubt, throw them out.
- Don’t overload your electrical outlets. This time of year we sometimes get caught up in the beauty of all the lights, but too many into on outlet or on the same circuit can be a serious problem.
- Reevaluate your escape plan incase of fire. With the added elements of live trees, candles and many other flammable items it is very important everyone knows how to get out and get out safely.
- Now is the perfect time to check your fire and Carbon Monoxide alarms.
- When using candles keep them away from flammable objects. A good rule of thumb is if it making the object hot, move the object or put the candle somewhere else.
- Many candles come in containers that also get very hot and can burn someone if grabbed or even burn through a wood surface. Make sure children can’t grab them and place the candle on a surface that will not burn. Also remember the pets. If they can, they will get their tails and other parts too close to open flames. If you have nothing else, set your candles in saucers or other non flammable dishware. And put it out when you go out.
- Wrapping paper can burn very quickly and cause a quick flash fire. Do not burn the wrapping paper it is not intended for that purpose. Reuse, recycle or just throw it out.
- When setting up your tree, keep it at least three feet away from fireplaces, radiators, and other heat sources. I would even try for five feet if possible.
- Keep cords out of the way where someone will not trip over them. Don’t use tacks or staples to hang electric cords, and don’t place them under carpets.