Although many people may not be aware of it, simple table salt has a great number of uses other than seasoning food. Salt is a fairly common food storage item and if protected from excessive moisture will last almost indefinitely. Salt is a main ingredient for seasoning many types of food but has a wide variety of other uses. Here are just a few of the additional uses for salt.
Additional Uses for Salt
1. Soak stained bandanas in salt water before washing to help eliminate the stains.
2. Soak fish in salt water prior to cleaning. The scales will come off easier.
3. Test eggs for freshness in a cup of salt water. Fresh eggs sink and bad ones float.
4. Add salt to your boiling water when cooking eggs to keep a cracked egg in its shell.
5. Soak toothbrushes in salt water before the first use. It will help them last longer.
6. Use salt and crushed ice to clean burnt coffee from your pot.
7. Soak nuts in salt brine overnight and they will be easier to crack out of their shells.
8. Wooden clothespins boiled in salt water before using them will last longer.
9. Clean brass and copper with a paste made of salt, vinegar and flour.
10. Lightly salted water makes a very effective mouthwash.
11. Remove odors from your kitchen sponges by soaking them in salt water.
12. Adding a few raw potatoes to stews or soups will decrease the saltiness if over seasoned.
13. After peeling fruits they can be placed in lightly salted water to avoid discoloring.
14. Equal parts of salt and baking soda make an excellent toothpaste substitute.
15. A pinch of salt will improve the flavor of cocoa.
16. Mix one part salt to four parts alcohol to help remove grease stains in clothing.
17. A mixture of salt and lemon juice can help to remove mildew stains.
18. Sprinkling salt on freshly cut tree stumps will help dry them out and decay faster.
19. You can polish an old kerosene lamp with salt and give it a new look.
20. A mixture of salt and turpentine can be used to clean porcelain fixtures.
There are many other ways you can use salt other than for seasoning your food and these are just a few. There is no doubt you probably have a few unique uses for salt that you use that are equally good.
Got another use for salt?
Staying above the water line!