FlipBoard

Welcome to our new Magazine format! All new content will now be brought to you in this easy, new format. All our older content can still be found by scrolling below. Simply click the ">" to start the magazine and navigate via your arrow keys.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Survival Kit Essentials - The Whistle


One of the items that everyone should have in their survival kit is a whistle. As a signaling device for when you are in trouble it is unmatched. When hiking with my children when they were younger, I always made sure they had a whistle on a lanyard that was with them at all times.

Long after you’ve gone hoarse from yelling or screaming, a whistle will continue to function and be heard a lot quicker. A shrill high pitched whistle will carry a long ways and be heard when your voice may not.

I still carry a whistle on my keychain as part of my EDC (every day carry) and have for years. There is nothing that can quite equal a whistle when getting someone’s attention.

I also have a Silva Four-in-One-Tool that I got from Cabelas in my BOB (bug out bag). It’s a combination whistle, thermometer, compass, and magnifying glass in a compact unit that weighs less than an ounce.

Here is a link to the Four-in-One Tool:

Cabelas Four-in-One Tool


The best thing I like about it is that it will stay above the water line because it floats!

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker


Original: http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/2009/03/survival-kit-essentials-whistle.html