Submissions     Contact     Advertise     Donate     BlogRoll     Subscribe                         

Monday, January 19, 2009

Knife Review: SOG Seal Pup

by Johnny
(Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

SOG Seal Pup hacked with paracord cutter, sharpener and steel striker

SOG Seal Pup hacked with paracord cutter, sharpener and steel striker

I bought a SOG Seal Pup with kydex sheath and modified it by cutting out a portion of the sheath so it can be used to cut cord or string without taking it out of the sheath.

Then I added some velcro and a rapalla sharpener (which I cut down to a smaller size) to cover the cut out portion when not cutting cord or rope. The velcro holds a rod of steel striker on the sheath's backside and I put applied some shiny aluminum tape that would be great for signaling. And of course there's 3 metres of paracord that can be used for a lanyard, belt, shelter, etc. Retrofitting (hacking) it was fun, and I'm pleased with the results.

It's a small blade, but I like to travel light. The SOG Seal Pup is comfortable and I feel safe handling it in every task. Finally, the blade lends itself to choking up for finer carving.

I've abused it in the month I've owned it while hacking, batoning, sawing through metal and plastic (the serrations are great), carving the inside of quinzee, and it's performed well.

I would recommend this knife to any outdoor enthusiast. It's light, comfortable, strong and is a safe option for all ages.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, i love the SOG's. Check out Tested Best Products, they are the cheapest on the internet.

    ReplyDelete